Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm Going To Kick Him.....Yes I Will!!!!!

It's liquor license season at my job.  This means that everyone in the State of Maryland (who sells liquor) has until April 30th to renew their liquor license. This includes everyone from liquor store owners, bar/pubs, restaurants, and strip clubs. Ahh, the strip clubs!  Most of them wait all year to pay 1,000s and 1,000s of dollars worth of sales tax and whatever else they tax and do it at the very last minute. So that leaves ME (the dutiful state worker) the wonderful task of figuring out penalties and interest.  So, at about 3:30pm yesterday afternoon it went a little something like this:

Me: Hi, how are you? How may I help you?
Stupid Bar Owner:  I'm good, I need my liquor license and I need to file and pay my sales tax.
Me: Okay, what do you need to file?
(SBO pulls out a sheet of paper with numbers attached to months)
SBO: The whole year.
Me: Crickets........
Me: The whole year? You means since last March when you renewed?
SBO: Yep
Me: Okay, these figures are for tax, yes?
SBO: Yes, that is correct
Me: Okay, give me a few minutes. I need to calculate penalties and interest
(There is a time lapse of about an hour)
Me: Okay, here you go. Here is your balance **,000.00 and it need to be in certified funds.
SBO: Okay, I will see you tomorrow.

I chat with the front desk ladies for a minute because it's nearly 4:30 at the point when SBO comes in and says:

SBO: The amount due is a little high
Me:  Why do you say that?
SBO: *insert pregnant pause with a huge grin* Well, the figures I gave you were for the gross sales, not the tax
Me:  Crickets......I slump my shoulders, bang my head against the wall, and pray to Jesus that I won't kick this dude in the shins

Yes and that was my day!  I was so excited for liquor season because it's gets really busy in the office and I wasn't there for it last year because I was in Thailand for all of April.  It is official, I am now over liquor season!  Don't call me! Don't ask! But they will because it's my job and I'm awesome!  To release the frustration of the latter part of my day, I went to ZUUMMMMBBBAAA with my friend from work.  I love ZUMBA and there are a host of reasons why. That, my friends, is for another blog on another day.  It is just so fantastically awesome, I can't even express how much ZUMBA and I are in love with each other...but I will.    

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment